The Wallworks

Monday, February 28, 2011

Apple Crisp

I  know in December I proclaimed   Cranberry Cake as my all time favorite dessert.  Well I need to amend that statement, or add to it, or something, because a girl cannot have only one favorite dessert, it's just not natural.


As much as I love chocolate, I would have to say that apple crisp is my other favorite dessert.  The combination of warm cinnamon apples with a crunchy nutty brown sugar oat topping, then cold vanilla ice cream melting on top, Perfection!


We had company last night and my mother asked me to make apple crisp.  You don't have to ask me twice, done and done.

 A good general resource for any recipe is Allrecipes.  I love the comments at the bottom.  As much as I love Martha, I tend to trust the moms and the normal home cooks just as much if not more.  Maybe because I have had a few huge fails with Martha.  Anyway, HERE is the recipe and here is what I changed.


1 cup flour + 1 cup whole wheat flour instead of 2c flour
1 1/4 c brown sugar instead of 1 1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c chopped walnuts added in, why not
& I did not do the double crust, I just sprinkled the crust on top and patted it all down

This makes a huge pan.  I used a pan a little bigger than 9x13 and it barely fit.  This recipe can easily be halved.

If I remember any other "favorite desserts" I'll let you know.

Note- You can click on Cranberry Cake and Here for the recipes.  I am still trying to work out the kinks with the links (ha ha) with the color.  I have no tech assistance today so hopefully you get what I am saying.  I am a blog work in progress.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm the crisp part is so delish!! Something about the texture of oats and brown sugar! Your blog always makes me hungry. Ha ha. How fun you did a mud run!! And I love your list of stuff. But can you even find pay phones these days? I guess if you are looking right? And yeah, fro-yo at the movies sounds like the perfect treat option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also LOVE apple crisp! It's extra good if you have an apple/peeler/corer. I tried a recipe from the Redhawk cookbook that turned out well, but Allrecipes.com is usually my go-to as well.

    ReplyDelete