The Wallworks

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The unbirthday birthday party

{Lila opening her gifts, donut cake, cracker jack favors, birthday girl at breakfast}




This was the year of the 'family birthday dinner'.  You know, the year we skip the friend party.  Well unfortunately for me I saw a groupon for the trampoline park for $32 for 2 hours of jumping for 4 kids.  That's a savings of $70!  So I told Lila that after school on Friday I would take her and 3 friends to jump, no problem.  The day I went to get the groupon it had expired.  But the seed had already been planted and the jumping turned into a play date and then morphed into a full on party for a dozen girls before I even knew what hit me.  Huh?! 

Honestly I don't like planning kid birthday parties.  I don't go on pinterest and make the triangle banners or get the fancy color coordinated paper straws.  What I do is thank my lucky stars that Lila wants a donut cake ($3.75 at Walmart for a dozen glazed) and pizza (also at Walmart, $6.98 for a huge cheese), and am glad I picked up those cute cracker jacks at Costco ($5?) a few weeks ago.  Since I only used half the box of cracker jacks, that brings my grand total for this party to $13.23.  Of course the candles have been around the block a few times.  Waste not want not.  And I served water. 

What I lack in fancy details I make up for in fun!  It's the most fabulous thing to have a creative tween who loves to help with the entertainment.  Emry created the invitations & planned out all the games for the party.  There was a fun scavenger hunt all around the neighborhood, a group dance contest, and lots of trampoline jumping & music. 

So Lila had a fabulously fun party with all her girlfriends in attendance. 

But next year, really I promise, I will not be duped by a sweet little cherubic 11 year old.