The Wallworks

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blankies



Every few months for the last year or so when I'd tuck Lila in for the night I'd say "Lila, how about we get you a new blanket?" 

The answer was always no, as she held her blanket, the same one she snuggled up to as a baby, tighter.

Then it turned into weeks, then every few days.  It got to the point where I would tuck the covers up to her chin, give her a kiss, then say "Lila" and she would say "NO!"

The blanket was a mess.  It was paper thin, tearing in parts, missing material, had stains and was mended by me in other parts, which means I folded it over and did a really bad job sewing it up.

Emry had no problem giving up her dee-dee.  But then again Emry is more rational and no-nonsense.  I dangled a fluffy new blanket in front of her, promised I'd pack dee-dee up safe and sound in her box, and she was right on board.

Ethan still has his baby blanket, after 8 years it's in surprisingly great shape.

But Lila.  That girl was not letting go for nothing.

Last night I was putting some old but loved clothes of Lila's safely in her storage box and came upon another blanket of hers that my Aunt made years ago.  I had used this blanket when she was a baby but had forgotten all about it when she got older and only needed one blanket. I was so excited to tell Lila that she had another special blanket just waiting to be loved by her.

Of course she made sure her old blanket was washed and put away in a safe spot.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by their loyalty.  My kids never had binkies or bottles, so their blankets were all they had to soothe them to sleep.

She may be 10 and growing up fast, but seeing her sleeping with  her new blanket snuggled up right in her face every night reminds me that she's still so little.

For now.